It’s Labor Day weekend! End of the summer for some folks…. not here in southern Arizona! It’s grilling season here until about Thanksgiving! LOL!
For your weekend BBQ, consider something new…. hence, this post for grilled chickpea burgers. Now, before you make a face like my husband does when I suggest these wonderful new ideas…. think outside the box! Yummy flavors! Loads of fiber (13 grams)! They will be crumbly, so best served in a pita bread pocket instead of a regular burger bun.
Try it & let me know what you think!
Grilled Chickpea Burgers
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil; more for brushing
- 4 medium cloves garlic, sliced
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 4 or 5 six-inch pitas
- 2 15.5-oz. cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 5 Tbs. tahini
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice (from 1 medium lemon)
- 1 large egg
- Kosher salt
- 2 Tbs. chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 Tbs. chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 English cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1 medium tomato, thinly sliced
- Heat oil, garlic & cumin in medium skillet over medium-high heat. Cook until garlic is soft, about 3 minutes, and set aside.
- Toast 1/2 a pita and then grind in food processor until crumbs are formed.
- Add the oil/garlic/cumin mixture, 1 can chickpeas, 2 T of the tahini, 1 T of the lemon juice, the egg, and 3/4 tsp salt . Blend until smooth.
- Add remaining chickpeas, parsley and cilantro. Blend until coarsely chopped.
- Shape into 6 patties, about 3/4-inch thick. Brush both sides of patties with oil. Grill about 2-3 minutes on each side.
- Mix remaining tahini and lemon juice together to make a sauce.
- Serve chickpea patties in pita bread. Garnish with tahini-lemon sauce, cucumber and tomato. Enjoy!!
Looking for tasty recipes your family will love?
Highly recommend MOMables!
Check them out!