If you follow this blog, you’ve seen my reviews of two companies, Sun Basket and Hello Fresh. They were kind enough to gift a meal box to me to experiment with. Both had pros and cons, but I admit we loved trying new recipes, tasty flavors and convenience of these meal delivery services. It was not possible to review all companies out there, for a variety of reasons, unfortunately. In these two posts, I will summarize some basic facts about each service, the cost, and any available discounts.
Similarities – MOST of these companies offer a vegetarian option. All support fresh, locally sourced produce and meats. Many have a Registered Dietitian on staff.
1. Hello Fresh
- Website – Hello Fresh
- Plans – 2 person or 4 person with 3, 4 or 5 meals per order
- Pricing – Smallest plan is 2 person, 3 meals, which costs $69. Largest plan is 4 person, 3 meals, which costs $129. Shipping is included.
- Per Meal Cost – Best value is $9.90 per meal for the 2 person, 5 meal plan. $10.75 per meal for the largest plan. $13.80 per meal for the smallest plan.
- Discounts – $15 off first order OR $35 of using this code: “FRESHFANSRD35”
- Unique – Chef Jamie Oliver creates some of the recipes
- Reviews – Roasted Pork Loin, Carmelized Pineapple Burgers, Crispy Chicken
2. Sun Basket
- Website – Sun Basket
- Plans – 2 person or 4 person plans. 3 meals per order.
- Pricing – 2 person, 3 meals is $68.94 for the first order and $74.93 for subsequent orders. 4 person, 3 meals is $137.88 for the first order and $143.87 for subsequent orders. Basically, the $5.99 shipping cost is free the first week only.
- Per Meal Cost – Varies. The website states that meals are $11.49 each. However, this is only true when the shipping is free for the first order. Subsequent weeks, if you include the shipping price, meals are $12.49 for the smaller 2 person order and $11.98 for the larger 4 person order.
- Discounts – $30 off first order using this code: DRJBSB30
- Unique – All packaging is recyclable. Organic ingredients. Gluten-Free and Paleo options. Chef Justine Kelly creates recipes.
- Reviews – Thai Turkey Lettuce Cups, Steak with Sweet Potato Hash Browns, Salmon in Parchment
3. Purple Carrot
- Website – Purple Carrot
- Plans – 2 person, 3 meals (“Perfect Pair”) OR 4 person, 2 meals per order (“Whole Bunch”).
- Pricing – 2 person plan is $68. 4 person plan is $74. Free shipping.
- Per Meal Cost – Perfect Pair plan equates to $11.33 per meal. Whole Bunch plan equates to $9.25 per meal.
- Discounts – None found.
- Unique – All Vegan. No meal choices, as this is a set menu. Very interesting meals.
- Website – Freshly
- Plans – You choose 6, 9, or 12 meals per week.
- Pricing – 6 meals = $69. 9 meals = $99. 12 meals = $129.
- Per Meal Cost – 6 meal plan equates to $11.50 per meal. 9 meal plan is $11 per meal. 12 meal plan is $10.75 per meal.
- Discounts – None found.
- Unique – These are ready-to-heat meals. NOT ingredients for you to prepare and cook. Chef Kevin Scott & Chef Zach Jarrett create recipes.