Pumpkin Spice has been the autumn rage for several years now. Confession: I LOVE ALL THINGS PS! I adore going to Trader Joe’s & stocking up on pumpkin ice cream, pumpkin tortilla chips, pumpkin butter, pumpkin coffee, pumpkin yogurt, pumpkin beer….. well, you get the idea. I may have a pumpkin problem.
ANYWAY, I decided to revamp a tasty pumpkin bread recipe that I have that is super high in sugar and fat, yet very tasty. This is the result and I hope you enjoy! Just baking it makes our house smell fall-like and delicious!
Healthy Pumpkin Spice Muffins
Makes about 18 muffins
- 2 cups pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup white flour
- 1/4 cup ground flaxseed
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350. Prepare muffin tins with cooking oil spray or muffin liners.
- In a large bowl, cream together pumpkin, oil, applesauce, sugars and eggs.
- In a separate bowl, mix dry ingredients. Combine into wet ingredients bowl.
- Scoop batter into muffin tins, filling each about 2/3 full. Top with nuts, if desired.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Serve warm. Delish!