Another super fast, delicious dinner here for you guys! (Do you see a common thread lately?!) Hey – I’m a working mom too & I am always on the lookout for recipes like this one. Micronutrient bursts from the spinach & tomatoes, with fiber from the whole wheat pasta and lean protein from the chicken – this dish has it all!
20-minute Italian Chicken Pasta
Yield: 6 servings
- 16-oz box whole wheat pasta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 15-oz can fire-roasted diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 rotisserie chicken, meat taken off bones in bite-size pieces
- 5-6 ounce package fresh spinach
- 3/4 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons flour
- Optional garnishes – fresh basil & grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- In large skillet, over medium-high heat, heat olive oil, garlic and spices. When garlic is lightly browned, add tomatoes and broth. Bring to a boil and add chicken.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk together milk and flour to form a slurry, making sure there are no clumps. Stir this into the chicken sauce and simmer until slightly thickened. Add spinach and cook until wilted, stirring frequently
- Drain pasta. Combine pasta and sauce. Serve immediately with garnishes, as desired.